Among the benefits of trees reported by the Building Safety Division of Culver City are the following:
- Urban trees have the potential to reduce social service budgets, decrease police calls for domestic violence, strengthen urban communities, and decrease the incidence of child abuse.
- Residents that live near significant urban trees typically have better relations and stronger ties to their neighbors.
- Researchers have found fewer reports of physical violence in homes that had urban trees outside the buildings.
- Active involvement in in tree-planting programs has been shown to enhance a community’s sense of social identity, self-esteem and territoriality, and it teaches residents that they can work together to choose and control conditions of their environment.
- Tree planting programs teach children about the environment and is a commitment to the future.